Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Milk supply - Part 1

I've talked to many mums and I realised that one of the major concern for nursing mums would be on milk supply. Some won't have the milk flow during the first few days or week, esp. the first time mum. It's often frustrated and upset when no matter how hard we try to pump, we can only get very little milk, I was in the situation before and hence I do feel the pain.

I'm lucky that my milk flow was established starting the 2nd week and I managed to breastfeed my son for 8 months and now still breastfeeding my daughter who is turning 5 months old next week.

The most important thing to maintain the milk flow is to let baby latch on whenever possible, it helps to stimulate our body to produce more milk. Try to pump on regular basis if can't feed direct, in order to maintain the supply. Apart from that, make sure we drink enough fluid, be it water or soup.

Read here and here for more details on how to increase/maintain milk supply.

No comments: